Government Cottage

During Victoria’s high colonial era, the Governor and spouse used to retire to Mount Macedon during the heat of the Victorian summer. Governor Loch and Lady Loch (1884-89) were the first Vice-Regal couple to spend time at ‘Government Cottage’, as it was called, and the tradition continued until 1933 when the property was sold. Sadly, Government Cottage was destroyed by fires in the 1950s.