The site of Government House

In 1841, a site of eighty-three acres was set aside in Melbourne’s Domain for the colony’s Government House and grounds. The location was selected by Victoria’s first colonial Lieutenant-Governor, Charles La Trobe. In 1933 the Government House complex was reduced to twenty-seven acres. Forty-two acres (including a large section of the entrance drive, the main lawn and the fern gully) became public parkland and one acre of the old American garden was converted into the Huntingfield Lawn of the Royal Botanic Gardens.

 

Full colour postcard Government House in the Botanical Gardens in Melbourne. 1904Postcard of Government House viewed from the Royal Botanical Gardens, 1904