State Car No. 5
The construction of State Car No 5 commenced in 1949 at Newport Workshops, in preparation for a visit to Victoria by Their Majesties King George VI and Queen. The Royal visit was cancelled when the King fell ill. Work on the train car resumed in 1952 for a planned visit by HRH Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh, however this trip was cancelled upon the death of the King.
The car first saw service for the 1954 Australian Tour by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and HRH Prince Philip, and was used for Country Tours by Victorian Governors until April 1994. The last Country Tour where the carriage was utilised was for an official visit to the City of Swan Hill and Shire of Wycheproof.
State Car No 5 is a steel bodied, fully air-conditioned car of the "S" (Spirit of Progress) type. It contains:
- Two State apartments, each with a bathroom and joined by an inter-connecting door
- A sitting/dining room with "magic" extension table and a well-equipped stainless-steel kitchen.
- Two staff compartments
- A staff toilet and staff shower
State Car No 5 is currently housed at the Seymour Railway Heritage Centre. The exterior of the carriage is currently being restored and will be on public display shortly. More information can be found at www.srhc.org.au.
Angus Trumble, Aide to Governor McCaughey in the late 1980s, travelled regularly with the Governor on the Vice-Regal train. His experiences are detailed on his blog, The Tumbrel Diaries.
The Governor received the call of Professor Shitij Kapur, Dean of Medicine, University of Melbourne and later, with M ...
Did you know?
Seven hundred books of gold leaf were required to decorate the Ballroom ceiling of Government House in the 1960s. The books of gold leaf were purcha ...