The Conservatory is an extension of the State Drawing Room and provides an expansive view of the West Lawn and Melbourne city skyline.
The columns and scroll relief of the entrance arch complement the arched windows. The detailed mouldings on the ceiling walls and ceiling rose were once highlighted in a variety of colours. Although the room was described as having a ‘sombre richness’ in 1890, today it is a light and airy room with white walls and ceilings and uncovered windows.
Photographs of this room taken in 1901 during the visit of the Duke and Duchess of York (later King George V and Queen Mary) show the Conservatory filled with exotic palms, ferns and potted plants arranged luxuriantly on shelving around the walls.
The Governor and Mr Anthony Howard QC attended the Australian Formula One Grand Prix at Albert Park.
Did you know?
During the First World War (1914-1918), the Ballroom at Government House was used as a packing and dispatching room for Red Cross supplies, which we ...