Monthly Garden Tours
The Government House gardens and grounds feature magnificent lawns, sparingly planted with specimen trees and surrounded by large beds of trees and shrubs, as well as a formal garden for the private use of the Governor and guests.
Join a member of our team for a relaxed and insightful tour of the spectacular gardens of Government House, all just minutes from the Melbourne CBD.
When: The third Thursday of every month at 11:00 AM
Where: Government House is located between the King's Domain and the Royal Botanic Gardens, south-east of the Melbourne CBD.
Dress: Neat casual with sensible footwear, as the tour will include some soft and uneven surfaces.
Fitness Level: A general level of fitness is required. The walking tour includes some stairs, small hills and uneven surfaces.
Registration: Register your attendance (external website)
Please note: Group bookings are not available at this stage.
Attendance is free.
Public transport: St Kilda Road trams (except No. 1 to South Melbourne)
By car: Metered parking is available on Linlithgow and Birdwood Avenues
- Tours have a maximum of 30 participants
- Reservations will close at midday the day before the tour.
- Please check in at the Government House Gatehouse 15 minutes prior to the tour commencing.
- Photo ID is required (passport, drivers licence, student ID etc.)
- You will encounter uneven surfaces so please remember to take great care at all times.
- Tours may be cancelled in the event of extreme weather or for operational reasons. Where possible, Government House will endeavour to provide prior notice of cancellations.
Tour Dates for 2017
- March- 16
- April- 20
- May- 18
- June- 15
- July- 20
- August- 17
- September- 21
- October- 19
- November- 16
- December - No tour
The Governor received the call of Professor Shitij Kapur, Dean of Medicine, University of Melbourne and later, with M ...
Did you know?
The Ballroom commands an entire wing of Government House. The Ballroom is 42m long, 16.7m wide, and 13.7m high. It has been said that when the plans ...