The Governor and Mr Howard visited Bishopscourt, home to the Governor of Victoria between 1874 and 1876.
Bishopscourt, the current residence of the Anglican Archbishop of Melbourne, was home to Sir George Ferguson Bowen, Governor of Victoria, and Lady Bowen, from 1874 until 1876. It is one of several other residences for Governors of Victoria, prior to the completion of Government House in 1876.
This week, the Governor and Mr Howard visited Bishopscourt, and were escorted on a tour by the current Archbishop and Mrs Freier. There, they were able to learn a little about the history of the house, both as a former residence of the Governor of Victoria, and as an example of early Melbourne architecture. Bishopscourt was constructed between 1851 and 1853, and is one of the last remaining estates in the City of Melbourne with its historical grounds still essentially intact. Further information on the Bishopscourt’s use as home to the Governor of Victoria can be found here.
Further information about other homes in which Governors of Victoria have lived, including the current Government House, can also be found in a series of short videos which can be seen here.